Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hello, My Name Is Jennifer......

and I'm a compulsive spender/debtor.

It's a big secret that some knew about me.  But there are probably more people who don't know that little fact than people who do.

What may surprise you even more is that I've struggled with this for well over 20+ years.  At times the compulsion would lie dormant for awhile, only to erupt with full force and heap destruction through my financial life.

It's caused me heartache, stress, insomnia, and much much more.

I decided a few weeks ago that I really needed to take the bull by the horns and get my financial life back on track.  I'm setting a bad example for my daughters - and darn it - it's time I just grew up and stopped acting so damn irresponsibly.

As I was looking for support groups online, I found that there were maybe only a handful of blogs out there that touched on this topic.  So I thought that I would start one myself.  And with that came my challenge.  Over the next 30 days I will be journaling every day about my journey -- the good, the bad, and even the ugly.

It is my hope that through this blog, others who struggle with debt and compulsive spending will find a place to come and share and know that they are not alone.  If I only reach one person through my story, then I will be happy.

**********************************

PS - For those wondering about the Sesame Street header.....I just felt like putting up something that would make me happy while I was writing about something that depresses me!  Hope it makes you smile!

2 comments:

Tracey M. said...

Wow! You are a brave one. To put yourself out there like this in a daily journal is inspiring and a gut check too. A while back a blog really got me looking at this (see http://livinglearning andlovingsimply.blogspot.com/2010/03/weary-of-stuff.html and her No Buying Month posts too). I am a "closet shopper" buying mostly online and on a whim I just look up stuff on EBay and Amazon and ZAP I buy it. I have been convicted how this area needs to be surrendered to the Lord and I even went on a 30 day buying fast - but didn't even blog about it!!!! I did stick with it with a couple compromises, but OH did I see how impulsive my buying is. I could go on more, but instead I'll look forward to hearing more of your journey as I look to reshape that area of my life too.

Tracey M. said...

Oh, and I'm glad you mentioned something about the header, because I love it yet didn't know the connection.